Stuff I Know

Just stuff by me about me and my life, such as it is.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

On to Konya

Between the coast and Konya. A stop on the way to Konya.

As I moved on from the sunny coast to the snowy interior of Turkey, I realized I didn't really have much with me in the way of winter clothes. After all, I had just came from India. But I did have enough items to add in layers to keep me from freezing.

A mosque. The mosque from the back.

Dervish art. Dervish art.

Konya was more of a transfer stop than an actual destination, but it was still a nice visit. The city is know as the home of the Whirling Dervish. And one of its most famous sights is the Mevlana Museum, which is also the mausoleum of Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi, a Sufi mystic and poet.

IMG_1986 The mausoleum with the green dome, an iconic image of Konya.

A sarcophagus. A sarcophagus in a museum.

There are a couple of smaller museums around the city that house various and interesting items. It was a quick stop for me, but I expect maybe in better weather, and during the time of local festivals, Konya is probably a pretty nice destination.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home