Stuff I Know

Just stuff by me about me and my life, such as it is.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Anjuna


From Panaji it was back to the coast. This time to Anjuna beach. There are several beaches in the area and Anjuna is probably the least developed for tourists, though that isn't saying much. But at least it isn't like the beach 30 - 45 minutes down the coast and around the headland. That place was thronged with Euro-tourists. Lots of overweight people showing too much flesh.

I have nothing against nudity. The "too much flesh" I mean was the extra poundage displayed when these people stuff themselves into what swimming suits they have. I have nothing against heavy people either, though it is obviously unhealthy, but, in my opinion, if you are going to go swimming, you should seriously consider getting a swimsuit that fits your form a little better as opposed to what looks good on the store mannequin. I know I am certainly no Adonis, but I have been told I have a nice but. That being said, I personally don't think it is nice enough to put on display in a thong on a beach that is populated by people more moderately dressed.

Many people seem to have an overly negative image of their own body, and that is too bad. Yet others can have an overly positive self-image of their body and that can be bad too. There is a lot more average out there in the world than people want to believe.


Besides the beach, another thing that makes Anjuna popular is the weekly flea market. Every Wednesday, people come from all over to sell their crafts, products, and old junk. There isn't that much old junk, but there are certainly a lot of interesting things to see. You could easily spend hours just walking around and looking at stuff. There is lots to buy, and if you get there early in the morning, you can get some good prices on things due to the Indian belief that they have to get that first sale out of the way as soon as possible for good luck.

Though there are lots of nice things, the problem for me is that I never really buy things unless I really need them. I rarely buy clothes unless what I have wears out. And I often pick up junk from the trash if I think it looks useful or might be able to be fixed. So whereas that carved animal or unique knickknack might look good on a mantle, I won't buy it because one- I don't have a mantle, and two- what would I really do with it once I have it? I have a hard enough time trying to get myself to buy souvenirs for family or friends. Consequently I think postcards are a godsend.

Not a lot of pictures from Anjuna- beach again. But there were some interesting rocks and a nice ruin of a fortification up on a nearby hill. Enjoy.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger Futuristics said...

NICE Blog :)

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you know what they say "Big fortification..Big Ruin!" ba-da-bum sorry..couldn't let that one go!

 
At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You still around?? I'm waiting to see the pictures of the trek down the canyon!!! Argh..you're killing me!! hope you are ok..that is what matters more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home