Stuff I Know

Just stuff by me about me and my life, such as it is.

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Of pain and pleasure

아이고! 다리 아파요. For those of you that can't see or read the Korean, that sounds like "eye-go. dahree ahpahyoh" I can't give you a literal translation for the first word (maybe 'oh my'?), but the whole phrase means something like "Oy vey! My legs hurt." But then again, I am not Jewish, so I don't actually know what 'Oy vey' means exactly. Hmm, maybe I should change the title of this blog to "Stuff I Don't Know."

I went riding again on Sunday. However on Saturday I went hiking. I went out behind (north) the university and walked home through the mountains. A lot of up and down as you can see by the photo. Image grabbed from Terraserver.com
I don't really know how far it is from the university to home (I forgot to bring my GPS or pedometer), but the walk ended up being about two hours or more. Remember, I was meandering though, so it possibly could be a bit shorter than it sounds.

Then, on Sunday, I went riding out to Imha dam. That is not the dam you see in the picture. The one in the picture is the Andong dam. The Imha is off the image further to the right (east).

The surroundings off in that area are pretty nice. Lots of trees, a couple of small villages, and a few historical sites. Several of the historical sites are actually buildings that would have been covered by one of the two rising lakes. The buildings were dismantled, moved, and rebuilt at new locations to preserve them for posterity.

I got up to 60 km/hr this time on my bike, but don't worry; it was on a fairly straight downhill run with few cars. The total ride however was over 60 km that day, with one beast of a hill climb. That, along with the hike the previous day, is why I was complaining about my legs at the beginning of the post. Actually, they just bothered me on Monday. On Tuesday I could still feel it a little, but by today, Wednesday, everything is back to normal (normal being a little bit of soreness in my right knee). All in all, a nice weekend.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.
- Frank Leahy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home